Suan Pakkad Palace Museum
The Suan Pakkad Palace is the first museum in Thailand where the owner, their Royal Highnesses Prince and Princess Chumbhot of Nagara Svarga, decided to convert their private residence, built in the traditional Thai style opened in 1952, is located on 6 Rai on no.352 Sri Ayudhya Road, Bangkok,
The buildings and the collections became a museum on their death. The name Suan Pakkad literally translates to “cabbage patch” as the land was originally used for farming. The combination of traditional architecture, elegant gardens and a wide range of collection make the museum worth a visit.
The buildings surround a garden designed with a Japanese feel, forming a semi-circle. Those in the front contain statues and other arts dating back as far as 7th century. There are also artifacts from the daily life of royalty, including food containers decorated with mother of pearl and silver, betel nut boxes, clothing and ecclesiastical fans.
Other houses display archaeological finds from Ban Chieng, collections of rocks and minerals, shells, Benjarong pottery and other Thai ceramics. A special air-conditioned building contains a collection of Khon masks used in the Thai classical dance depicting stories from the Ramakien.
Set a little off on its own at the edge of the garden is the “Lacquer Pavilion.” The structure is more than 200 years old and formerly stood in a monastery on the Chao Phraya River just south of Ayuthaya. The late Prince Chumbhot purchased the building and moved it to these grounds, then had it restored. The pavilion consists of a ‘room within a room.” A narrow corridor winds all the way around an inner room. The walls of the corridor are decorated in richly carved gilded wood. The interior of the inner room is decorated entirely in gold and black lacquer.